Thursday, November 17, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

So I just made a really amazing soup.  But before I say whats in it, readers must promise that they will be open minded.  That's all I ask, you don't get to say its gross or anything.  So my ingredients were butternut squash, red pepper, garlic, red onion, veggie stock, and..... soft tofu!  Sorry to any of you tofu haters but that is an ingredient.  And not only was it a good choice on my part, it made the soup fantastic!  I refused to tell Pere what was in it until after he tasted it, because I knew if I told him ahead of time he never would have tried with the open mind I know is necessary for those who don't understand tofu, or as in his case, those who have been subjected to my tofu creations in the past.  This is the first time I've cooked with tofu and actually loved what I made, so I'm really excited, and Pere was willing to taste it.  It isn't often that I experiment with a new dish and I love it right away.  But for once I lucked out.  Not that I wouldn't change it, because I will when I make it in the future, but it was good.

Ingredients:
Olive Oil
Half a Red Onion
2 large cloves of garlic
4 cups of Veggie Stock, I used store bought but whatever you feel like
A Whole Butternut Squash, cut in chunks
One Diced Red Pepper
A container of Tofu, Soft
Chili Powder (optional)

I used a large pot, the wonderful red Le Crueset, and added a healthy amount of olive oil to coat the bottom of the pot, then I added my chopped onion and let them go until translucent.  Next the garlic until it made for a wonderful pervading smell in my kitchen.  Then I poured in my stock, all of it, followed by the squash.  Add the red pepper, cover and let simmer on high for a good 15 minutes or until the squash is nice and soft.  While that's  happening take the tofu, after draining a good portion of the water, and crumple it into the blender.  Pulse until its smooth.  Then combine it with the soup.  Continue to let that cook for another 5 minutes.  Then pour all of it into the blender, do it in 2 batches if your blender isn't large enough, and pulse until smooth.  Once the mixture is creamy pour it back into the pot, washing it out first if you so choose.  At this point you want to leave it on a low heat for 20 minutes.  However if you think that the mixture is to thick add more stock until you get your desired texture.  If you want a bit of crunch add some fried onions or have a good thick piece of sourdough bread with the soup.  I hope you enjoy!

                               -Madeleine

No comments:

Post a Comment